"Spirit of Rett" breaks 45-year old goldenrod record!
On September 21, 2010 the “Spirit of Rett” made two phenomenal speed runs. The first run averaged 417 MPH with an exit speed of 422.6. The return run, made under more difficult track conditions, averaged 411.7 MPH with a top speed of 417.65. The average speed of approximately 414.4 MPH exceeded the 45 year old Summers brothers’ Goldenrod record set when I was 15 years old. The “Spirit of Rett” now has the fastest single engine car record in history.
The crew, led by Lee Ryan, consists of Roine Andersson, David Tate, Scott Sargent, Ed Stuck, Chuck Horrell, and Tom Brown. The engine, which performed absolutely to perfection, was built by Brad Morgan and Bruce Allen of Reher-Morrison Racing Engines. Our oil, which had to work under extreme temperatures, was provided by Red Line Oil Corporation. The parachutes and safety gear was provided by D-J Safety.
Rick Cameron helped us throughout the year with engineering and fabrication as well as pit stop and turn around help during the record attempt.
Bob Hansen did a fine job over the winter of lengthening the car for us by 3’, and Kebin Kinsley fabricated new body work for the lengthened car.
A.J. Smith is our aerodynamicist and steered us in the right direction on the new nose for the car, which was put in final form and built by Richard Nauert and his excellent crew at Southwestern Performance Technology Corporation.
I also want to give credit to Howard Nafzger who was the original designer of the car, and to Earl Wooden who made key improvements.
I am extremely gratified for all the hard work of these individuals toward the “Spirit of Rett” effort. Over the last 45 years many people, many times have attempted to break the record, and we are very proud and humbled to have finally done so.
I am sincerely humbled and grateful for all the kind words and congratulations you have sent to me and the team. I am slowly but steadily responding to each of these individually and I thank you all for your prayers and well wishes.
This effort is dedicated to Rett and all the children fighting cancer.
"Spirit of Rett" now has the following accomplishments:
1. Fastest single engine car record in history 414.316 MPH! (and only 3mph less than the absolute fastest "real car" record of 417.020 MPH held by Tom Burkland!)
2. Fastest normally aspirated car in history - period! (Broke 45 year old record set by Summer's Bros. "Goldenrod" on Nov 12, 1965!)
3. First and only unblown single engine car over 400 MPH!
4. First and only car to ever set two over 300 MPH records in one day!
5. First and only car to ever hold all four of the fastest unblown records at Bonneville at the same time! A/FS 379.6 MPH, A/GS 353.825 MPH, AA/GS 368.136 MPH, AA/FS 392.503 MPH
6. First and only car to ever hold the two fastest unblown FIA records at the same time!
7. At the 2011 FIA Landspeed Shootout held in September, the “Spirit of Rett” increased its FIA Category A, Group II, Class 10 record to 366.59 MPH.
The only over 400 MPH records that have been set by conventional race cars are as follows (per Tom Burkland):
1. Tom Burkland "Burklands 411" 417.020 MPH SCTA AA/BFS (two engines, blown, fuel, 4wd) Oct, 2004
2. Charles Nearburg "Spirit of Rett" 414.316 MPH FIA (one engine, unblown, fuel, 2wd) Sept 21, 2010
3. Nolan White "Spirit of Autopower" 413.156 MPH SCTA AA/BFS (blown, fuel) Aug, 2002
4. Al Teague "Speed-O-Motive" 409.86 MPH FIA (one engine, blown, fuel, 2wd) Aug, 1991
5. Bob Summers "Goldenrod" 409.277 MPH FIA (four engines, fuel, 4wd) Nov 12, 1965
6. George Poteet "Speed Demon" 404.562 SCTA D/BFS (one engine, blown, fuel, 2wd) Aug 19, 2010
7. Donald Campbell "Bluebird CN7" 403.10 FIA July, 1964
photos from race day
Spirit of Rett by Richard Nauert
as a point of reference in the following videos, the orange markers are 1 mile apart while the black flags indicate the half miles!
rear view of record down run
spirit of rett, first record run
spirit of rett, 2nd returm record run
spirit of rett sponsor red line oil feature on the record breaking run
spirit of rett story and video in dallas morning news
photos from speedweek, august 2009 - photos from race day
photos from world finals, october 2009 - photos from race day
record run, world finals, october 2009
spirit of rett on record setting runs
pictures from race day